Moisturizing comes naturally to some people, and to others it’s a completely foreign concept. I moisturize because just the thought of having dry, flaky skin makes my skin crawl and has me rummaging for another bottle of lotion, aka the creamy crack – ok not really, but you’ve gotta admit it feels pretty darn good! Anyway, I surfed the “interweb” for some answers as to why we need to moisturize and here’s what I found:
5) Protection. When we wash our faces, we strip it of its protective barrier – sebum (skin’s natural oil) – leaving it exposed to the elements, pollutants, allergens, and other irritants. Moisturizers work to fill in any tiny cracks in our skin and keep all of the bad bacteria out!
4) Anti-aging. Dry skin is more prone to premature aging and who wants wrinkles before they’re really due?
3) Hydration. Hydrated skin is happy skin, and happy skin glows!
2) Obamacare (or mabye just because Joe Bidden says so). Joe likes to use Clinique, but if you’ve been reading my blog you would know that I prefer the natural stuff.
1) LUPITA NYONG’O! Do I need to say more?
Lupita is absolutely right! I know this isn’t exactly what she’s saying, and at some point I will address this issue, but no amount of moisturizer or makeup can conceal an ugly soul. True beauty, and I know you’ve heard this a thousand times but I’m going to say it anyway, radiates from within!
Bottom line: It doesn’t matter if you use oils/serums, lotions, butters, creams, etc. you NEED to do it.
Sources: HowStuffWorks (Discovery Health)